Friday, November 6, 2009

Pumpkin....

I love it!  As far back as I can remember (which these days sometimes doesn't reach back to breakfast!), I have loved, adored, and craved the delicious taste of pumpkin.  It started with pumpkin pie, then moved to pumpkin ice cream, followed by pumpkin bread, pancakes, beer, chili, and soup.  I'm sure there's even more delightful things to do with pumpkin, but the following recipe is one I came up with the other night...still tweaking it so I haven't included any amounts. If you decide to try it, just wing it and then adjust accordingly.

Pumpkin Bisque

pureed pumpkin (fresh roasted or canned)
onion  diced
garlic  chopped
curry powder
garam masala
paprika
black pepper
all spice
ground cloves
ground mace
salt
vegetable stock
coconut milk
apple cider

saute the onion, garlic, and spices in olive oil or butter (or coconut oil),  until soft and fragrant.  Add in the pumpkin and cook until pumpkin is richly colored.  Add in stock, cider and coconut milk....stir well.  Bring to high simmer and then lower heat.  Allow to gently simmer for about 30 minutes.  Using an immersion blender (or food processor) blend to a smooth consistency.  Serve garnished with any of the following:  grated sharp cheddar cheese, sour cream, creme fraiche, toasted pumpkin seeds, toasted shredded coconut.

It's even better the second day...and I plan on adapting the soup to use as a pasta sauce.  I'm envisioning it over cheese torteloni or lobster ravioli.  mmmmm.

Wish I had thought to snap a picture of it at dinner the other night...but alas.

Instead here's a picture of super daughter carving her jack-o-lantern



No comments:

Post a Comment